Wednesday, September 27, 2006


Car Trouble

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. It's no Mercedes, but it's a nice enough car and it serves me well. There are several other Grand Prixes in the parking garage at work the same color as mine, and I've always felt a special unspoken camaraderie with the owners. Today I parked next to a nearly identical Grand Prix, and I went out to lunch at the same time as the other owner. I made the silly comment of "nice car" as I walked to my vehicle and he to his; he smiled and said "yours too...company car?"

What?

It seems that the Grand Prix is one of the vehicles The Company will give to its bigwigs, and I think it bothers me. I had my choice of let's say 30 car models to choose from, and I picked the Grand Prix; I felt a bond with other people who made that same decision. But it turns out they picked their cars from only 3 or 4 models, so it's not as special.

I do take small comfort in knowing that I have the "Sports Competition Package" which is not an option for a company car (although I'm sure if you're ranked high enough, you could get whatever package you wanted, but at that level you wouldn't get a Pontiac in the first place.)

So is it better to pay for a car yourself and get the top-of-the-line options, or get a standard model for free? That is left as an exercise for the reader. As is the plural form of "Grand Prix"; is it really Prixes?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Permanent link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com