Wednesday, October 12, 2005


STFU

Going political for a change. Today's the anniversary of Matthew Shepard's death. His story really angers me, but maybe not for the same reason it bothers other people.

When Matthew was killed, people were shocked and couldn't understand how this could happen. Call me cynical, but I DO understand how it happened. I accept that we live in a world where people murder the mother of their unborn child, fly planes into buildings, and tie gay college students to wooden fences. It doesn't make it any less tragic, but "I get it."

It's the second part of the story which really offends me. A group of people made a rational (to them) decision to attend the funeral. They went out and bought posterboard to make signs. They purchased train and bus tickets and made motel reservations so they could go to Laramie. These supposedly normal, middle-class Americans thought it was a good idea to be outside the funeral so that a grieving mother could see signs proclaiming "Matthew Rots in Hell." And to top it all off, they had the - I don't even have the word for it - gall? audacity? to claim that this is what God wanted them to do. I can't begin to explain how much that offends me, and it upsets me that legally they did nothing wrong.

If I could release Matthew's killers from prison and replace them with the organizers of the "God Hates Fags" protestors, I would do it in a heartbeat. Chances are the murderers won't kill again, but these self-righteous bastards are STILL protesting funerals. I'm all for freedom of speech and religion, but these people are just plain SICK.

Photo of how they poison young minds

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Permanent link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com