Monday, October 24, 2005


Mick or Treat

Kudos to Disney.

On Saturday I went to a special Halloween event at Disney's California Adventure. A friend of mine wanted to take her two kids, ages 6 and 3, and her husband couldn't make it so I went along.

Tickets were only $15, which included free parking. They closed DCA at 6:00, then re-opened it from 7:30-10:30 for ticket-holders. They had special areas where kids could dance with Disney characters. Most of the major rides were running: Soarin', California Screamin', Tower of Terror... And then they had 13 trick-or-treat stops throughout the park. I expected that all the candy would be cheap SweetTarts, but they had the good stuff: bite-sized Snickers, Twix, M&Ms. Kids got a handful of candy at each stop. But then towards the end of the night, the workers had all that candy to get rid of so they started double-fisting the candy and dumping it into the kids' bags. I could not believe how much sugary teeth-rotting goodness was being forced upon the kiddies. Oh, and grown-ups got candy too. We figured we got more candy for fifteen bucks from Disney than we could get for the same money at Ralphs, so it would be cheaper to go to DCA to stock up on treats to hand out for Halloween.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. California Adventure gets a lot of bad local press, but it really is a nice park and they do some cool stuff there. Go.

The awkward moment of the night came when the 6-year-old boy asked me "can I call you 'Dad' for tonight?" (True.) I told him "not until we get the paternity test back". (Not so true.)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Permanent link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com