Monday, July 25, 2005


When life hands you a lemon, make a Grand Latte

I went to Starbucks today, which might as well be a foreign country as far as I'm concerned. I don't understand how it works and I don't understand the language there, but I heard they had lemonade so I thought I would give it try.

I asked the cashier/waitress/barista/whatever "Do you have lemonade?"

She tells me something along the lines of "we have herbal teas, chai teas, iced coffee, and we can make all of them with lemonade."

Being from a foreign land, I didn't quite understand this custom. "How do you make them 'with' lemonade?"

"We can do half-and-half, mix them together."

So I asked what apparently was not an obvious question, "Can you just make the lemonade?"

This seemed to blow her mind. "You want just lemonade?". "Yes." "Well, I guess we could do that." She then turned to the other cashier/waitress/barista/translator/whatever and asked her "have you ever had just a lemonade?" "Yeah, it's good".

I got a cup with liquid in it and it tasted like lemonade. I just don't understand why my request was so odd. Is Starbucks that snooty that they have trouble making something as beneath them as a lemonade?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Permanent link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com