Wednesday, August 18, 2004


Why this little piggy cried all the way home



As the computer simulation above demonstrates, I busted up my toe last night. I was running through the living room (I'm always hectic) and smashed my pinky toe against a wall. This morning, I couldn't get my shoe on because of the swelling and sensitivity so I figured I should have it looked at. I know there is nothing doctors can do for a broken toe, but since I am leaving for a week-long trip to Europe on Thursday I figured I was better off making sure it was nothing serious while I was still here.

As soon as the doctor saw my toe, he said "yup, that's broken all right. We'll take some X-rays just to see how bad it is." They sent a kid (and I do mean kid) to zap me. He had a book with him, a textbook as it turns out, and when I told him I smashed my toe he looked up the section on "foot" to figure out how to configure the machine. Great. He told me he was a student and this just happened to be his very first day. Fortunately for me, his tutor stopped by in time to remind him to give me a lead shield before vaporizing me.

When the main doctor saw the X-rays, he said "I don't know how to tell you this, but I can't find any cracks." According to him, I have strong bones so I get all all the pain and swelling of a broken toe without actually any broken bones, but I don't get to play the sympathy card because technically I just stubbed it. Mike says I should still be allowed to call it a broken toe. After all, it's not looking or acting the way it's supposed to.

Doc told me to keep it elevated and iced for a couple of days, then just stay off of it as much as possible for a week. (I can certainly walk, but I'm just not supposed to push it too hard.) I told him "I'm leaving for Europe on Thursday." His reply: "It's gonna hurt." Nothing he can do, nothing I can do. I did get a brand new bottle of Vicodin however, which will certainly help my nerves on the long flight.

WARNING: GROSSNESS AHEAD
If you really want to see the toe, I have a photo of it. Toes are ugly to begin with, and they only get worse when they turn colors. So click the link at your own risk. Go ahead. You know you want to. My "broken" toe.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Permanent link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com