Wednesday, May 28, 2003


Why I Hate Apple Computer

A couple months ago I bought a new computer system, and treated myself to a mid-size flat-panel display. It looked beautiful, except for a single bad pixel in the middle of the screen that would always stay bright red. Always. It never turned off. Quite annoying. I went to the Apple Store to get it replaced, and they said that a few bad pixels was "acceptable". Maybe to them, but not to me. They would let me exchange it, but I would have to pay a 10% restocking fee, and there was no guarantee that the new monitor wouldn't have more bad pixels. The "Apple Genius" (yes, that's what they're called) told me "well maybe the bad pixel will go just away." Look buddy, I fell off the turnip truck last week, not yesterday, and I know that with monitors, over time you wind up with MORE bad pixels, not fewer. I grudgingly accepted that there was nothing I could do.

I recently realized that I hadn't noticed the bad pixel as much, and was thinking how remarkable the brain is at filtering out unwanted information. I assumed I just got so used to seeing the bad pixel that I was subconsciously ignoring it. But then I actually tried to find it, and I'll be damned if the screen didn't heal itself. All pixels work perfectly. A stunning display.

So why do I hate Apple Computer? I'm not happy unless I can rant about something, and now I can't complain about the screen. I will send a little extra something to Steve in my monthly tithing as penance for my lack of faith in him.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Permanent link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com