Wednesday, May 07, 2003


I am rather particular when it comes to ordering food, and I've learned to be patient when people don't seem to understand what I ask for.

To me, a "plain" sandwich is bread, meat OR cheese (not both), and butter. No lettuce. No tomato. No mustard.

A plain cheese sandwich is bread, cheese and butter.
A plain chicken sandwich is bread, chicken and butter.
A plain turkey sandwich is bread, turkey and butter.

It amazes me that many restaurants/delis don't have butter to put on sandwiches, but I've learned to accept it.

Today I ordered a plain turkey sandwich from a new deli in our building. I had to do my usual explanation: "I'd like a plain turkey sandwich, just meat and bread with butter." "No cheese?" "No cheese. Nothing on it but meat and butter." "Lettuce?" "No lettuce. Nothing but meat, bread, butter."

I watched as my sandwich was being made. He took a plain roll and put some plain turkey on it. Good so far. He took out a few scoops of butter. Great. He then put the butter in a small plastic cup and handed me the dry sandwich and the cup of butter. It never occurred to me to tell them I wanted the butter ON the sandwich, but I figured I should just be thankful for getting what I did.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Permanent link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com