Wednesday, March 12, 2003


Buyer's Remorse

I finally ordered a new computer. Although I am always in a state of wanting a new machine, over the last 6-8 months I became serious about it. I did some major debt consolidation, not because it was fiscally responsible (although it was) but because it would free up space on my credit card to get a new computer. I down-graded some of internet service to save money to pay for the new computer. I've skipped over some much-needed car repairs (nothing safety-related) to save money. I've been shopping for a new desk for the new computer (to replace the formica kitchen table I found in my college apartment attic which I'm using now). Much of my life has been restructured to put all the pieces in place for that glorious moment when I went online and clicked "Purchase Now".

I don't want a new computer.

OK, that isn't exactly true. I do want one. I could argue I NEED one. But I have to wait 2-3 weeks before it will be shipped. In that time, I just KNOW they are going to release a new machine. Or discover a flaw in the new model. Maybe I should have waited until the summer Mac World to find out what new models are in the works. Maybe I could have found a better deal.

I think I would have felt better about it if the ordering process was more complicated. The more money you spend, the more work it should take. But I simply went to the Apple website, it remembered the configuration of the machine I selected months ago, and already had my credit card and shipping info from an order I made years ago. Basically, all I had to do was click on "continue" about 5-6 times and voila I had a new computer on its way. Putting it in perspective, that's about $500 a click. Ouch. It takes more effort to buy an 85-cent Snickers.

It is scheduled to ship "on or before April 1". We'll see.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Permanent link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com