Monday, September 16, 2002


Getting Frisky at Ralphs

Things are getting pretty exciting at the supermarket.

As a Ralph's Club member, every time they swipe my card I get automatcially enrolled in some new savings program. The latest is with Friskies Cat Food. If I purchase 75 cans before October 6th, I'll earn $2.00 off 4 cans of Friskies! Doing the math, it turns out that I'll be saving about 3%. But they just make it so exciting: everytime I go to Ralphs, I get a statement telling me how far along I am in my quest for 75 cans! Will I make it?!

Some of you may ask, "why don't you just buy the 75 cans and be done with it?" Easier said than done, which is why this is such a challenge. For starters, I don't want to be in the checkout line looking like "the crazy cat guy" with a shopping cart full of Friskies. I may in fact BE that guy, I just don't want to LOOK like that guy. The second problem is that my cat will only eat Friskies Mixed Grill flavor, and sometimes they may only have 5 or 10 cans of that flavor on the shelf. Those of you who aren't owned by cat are thinking "just go out and buy any flavor; when the cat gets hungry enough, she'll eat it." It doesn't work that way, and I think I can explain using an analogy based upon stories from married friends: Suppose your wife sends you out for some Sprite. You come home with 7-Up instead, and she says "I thought I told you to bring home Sprite." You can tell her "it's the same thing" and she WILL drink it, but life will be much easier on you if you just run out back to the store. It's the same way with a cat.

I think I have about 20 more cans to buy in the next 3 weeks, so I should be in pretty shape. I just have to keep my focus. And I don't plan on giving those 2 dollars to the cat; I'm working hard to earn them, so I'm spending them on ME.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Permanent link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com